French Media Research Group
Following the recent FMRG22 conference on Media, Memory and Nostalgia at Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, a further FMRG event developing this theme will be held in Newcastle in the Literary & Philosophical Society building, closely adjacent to the Central Railway Station.
The theme of the conference is purposefully broadly defined. We are hoping to attract 8-10 speakers, including invited speakers from France, and PGs. Papers (20-25 mins) in English or in French could cover aspects of topic/issues such as:
– memory and/or nostalgia in media/online representations in the French-speaking world
– specific forms/genres/formats – news, documentaries, sport, music, magazine programmes, entertainment/variétés, advertising…
– media/online archives; video-sharing websites (ina.fr, youtube etc); DVD/boxset releases of classic/cult programmes
– academic and journalistic commentaries on the relationship between the mass media/internet and memory/nostalgia/other related concepts
– specific decades, periods, generations, movements, events, fashions
– the relationship between past, present and future
– individual and collective identities / forms of social cohesion
– death and mourning
– anniversaries – birth, death and career
– audience participation and interaction
or any other subject. Please feel free to suggest a topic. PG students are encouraged to present papers.
A publication from the Conference is planned.
For more information or to propose a paper (abstract of around 250 words), please contact the Conference Organisers Dr Hugh DAUNCEY (Newcastle University) [firstname.lastname@example.org] and Dr Chris TINKER (Heriot Watt University) [email@example.com] by 30 June 2013.
FMRG is affiliated to the Association for the Study of Modern & Contemporary France.